Thursday, February 6, 2014

Food Matters!

Thank you, Food Babe! I was so excited to see MailOnline’s article regarding the petition and the response it was getting regarding Subway sandwiches. It is one of the examples that food matters and I am so happy to witness and participate in the movement of less contaminated food supply in the United States. If we all educated ourselves about food and stand together, we can make a positive difference. What an awesome time to live in! Over the last couple of years I was on a personal journey to shed extra pounds. I wanted to do this in a healthy and sustainable way. I grew up on meat and potatoes with little veggies and fruits in my diet. It was a norm to gain weight and develop diseases as the years progressed. I did not want that for myself so I was determined to find a better way. In the back of my head I knew that food would play a big part in my journey.

Growing up I was as far from sports as one can be. In my early twenties, I started working out, attending yoga. It was new to me and high stress in corporate America was one of the big reasons that had me coming back. Throughout the process I loved seeing my body strengthening and shrinking in size. Yet I soon realized that without changing my eating habits I can only go so far. I was eager to learn and many teachers via different channels came my way. Food combination, vegetarian, vegan, raw; you name it, I tried it! Fasting and cleansing? Bring it on! Like everything in life, it was and still is very much a process. Not an overnight event. As I was learning of different foods and many ways of how to incorporate them in my diet, my taste buds were changing and my world, literally, expanding.

As my appreciation for food’s quality and variety in my life grew, I also learned about something that was not on my radar before – chemicals in the food. I started checking ingredients lists and was blown away by the fact the bread was made out of many ingredients I did not recognize nor could pronounce! I always assumed bread was made out of flour, water, salt, sugar and yeast. Looking back I smile at my own innocence. Then I came across a thought of “with every bite you either feed or heal a disease”, which made perfect sense to me yet many educated people in medical, media and other communities seemed totally oblivious to the totally, what seemed to me, logical and common sense fact: how can we be healthy without nutritious food? Chicken provides highly needed protein yet what else comes from an animal that was fed growth hormones and antibiotics? Very few were acknowledging much less talking about its impact on our health. I was disappointed to say the least. I wanted to scream that food matters! Also, having to re-consider every product I used, as I had little trust in its supplier, made life very complicated.

Over last year and a half I was fortunate to travel outside the United States and experience food in many parts of our beautiful World. I did not hesitate and ate everything, as I think food is part of excitement and joy in life. You should see how ecstatic I was to find a bag of chips in London’s airport that had no artificial flavoring or coloring! I had sweats, lattes, grains, meats, veggies. I loved it all. My body loved this journey even more decreasing to US size 2 or 4. I don’t remember being this small in my adult years! As I did not restrict my diet I took this beautiful and totally unanticipated result in my body as a proof of the positive impact due to lack of GMOs, artificial flavoring, coloring along with many other chemicals I am not able to recognize in the food. Therefore, Food Babe’s petition made me excited and started my juices flowing. Health is a base for everything and food we consume is at its core. We can make a difference and lead better lives if we all stand up and stand together for higher quality in foods we consume.

Below see the articles that may peak your interest:

The Raw Secrets. The Most Complete Book On Living On An Optimal Raw Food Diet For Better Health.

Click Here!Kristen Suzanne's EASY Raw Vegan TRANSITION Recipes

Click Here!The Quinoa Super Diet





No comments:

Post a Comment